The Club purchased land from the Canadian Pacific Railway and moved to its present location on the corner of Fir Street and 16th Avenue in 1914. Members played on nine grass courts, four clay courts, and two croquet lawns which were later changed into additional tennis courts. In 1928, our Badminton Hall—the first in North America to be designed specifically for the sport—was built and our name changed to the Vancouver Lawn Tennis & Badminton Club.
In 1897, when the city was still in its infancy, a group of people interested in forming a tennis club met at the Hotel Vancouver; and the Vancouver Lawn Tennis Club was born. The Club was originally located in the West End and featured grass and cinder courts as well as a croquet lawn. Here, gentlemen in white attire and ladies in ankle-length skirts and high-necked blouses played croquet and tennis. The Club’s membership from this period reads like a list of Vancouver’s pioneering families, including such names as Cambie, Marpole, and Malkin.
Over the years, some of the world’s greatest players have played on our courts and Members are proud of our Club’s legacy and traditions. While the Club has evolved over time, embracing badminton, squash, fitness and a larger, more diverse membership, at its core the Vancouver Lawn Tennis & Badminton Club continues to be a premier racquets facility and social community.